Cherries in the Snow

Someday we'll all be old and I'll be so damn beautiful..

Monday, July 31, 2006

...Ocean

I had forgotten how much of a beach person I was until this vacation. I have always loved the beach and taken beach vacations for years..but hadn't had one in some time. The ocean is my zen..my place to be completely relaxed and calm. I don't realize how much I need that or don't feel that--until I am there..Waking up in a beach town makes me so happy I cannot even begin to describe it..giddy almost--the way I feel..the sunshine and the sound of that ocean..walking out along the path with the beach grass swaying on either side..out to the beach and walking along the shore, or lying in the sun, sitting in the beach chair with a book and watching my son (who also never wants to leave the beach) as he studies the sand and finds bits of shell or builds castles, body surfs against the waves..we walk in the tide pools and no matter how cold the water is, it feels good as it crashes into our feet..And the people are worth watching all day long..because they come in every shape and size, in every type of bathing suit imaginable..to sit or run, to read and talk..they bring lunches and beers or coffees.. grown men of middle age who sit right in the sand with their kids showing them how to build sandcastles or jump waves..No one is playing a video game or watching tv, no one is rushing anywhere..no one is bothered if they get covered in sand or salt water..the sound of the seagulls and the waves hitting the beach--is all that you can hear--except for the laughter of children here and there..and I could have stayed all month.. We did make plans for the same spot next summer--only a longer time..and I look forward to it..lobster dinners and blueberry crumb pie for dessert..I found the slice of heaven that my family is going to keep returning to..and I look forward to next July !! It really did rejuvenate me..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home