Cherries in the Snow

Someday we'll all be old and I'll be so damn beautiful..

Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Little Things

Sometimes the little things that thrill us--even as adults. . can mean so much. I had a very bad work week. A lot going on to get a violent child in the right placement..and the stress is taking it's toll on me. But all week long I knew that Saturday would be a sunny crisp day..and that my family would go apple picking at the usual place. The place that also has the caramel popcorn balls. Like a child I could taste that caramel popcorn ball all week long. I thought about it in the car as we drove to the apple picking place. I thought about it as we picked the apples..apples which are good, crisp and delicious..but truth be told..it was all about the caramel popcorn ball for me today. It was later in the day than we normally go..close to 3:30pm..and I hadn't even begun to imagine that they'd run out of caramel popcorn balls. But when we stood on line and got to the counter..there were none left. NADA. None. Nope. Too bad. So sad..drive home without any caramel popcorn ball..just you and your healthy apples. UG. No one else really cared. However I, mentioned several times all the way home--just how rotten that was. Just how unsatisfying it was to go home without that caramel popcorn ball. Sheesh. So now I'm sitting here eating some won ton soup while I work on an article..wearing pajamas because it's the "de-stressing" thing that I'm doing this weekend..and hubby as promised to get me some good ice cream. One can eat ice cream on a Saturday night when they've stressed all week and lost weight without trying too hard due to work stress. But it's still..no caramel popcorn ball..I did enjoy the apple picking though. I always watch the city people who come to pick apples as if it is so far out of their realm of living..they feel they are "in the country" picking apples and yet they wear expensive shoes and pick apples with manicured nails..proud that they are being so basic for an hour. (growing up in the country makes me less that way..although I did wear good shoes and made sure i just didn't step in the crushed apples on the ground).. But the highlight was listening to a grown man say out loud "There are different KINDS of apples?"..and he was serious. Ohhh so serious. As if all apples are one generic kind..and how could you NOT know this and be living in the world? Seriously. I hope he didn't end up with the last popcorn ball or I'd be even more mortified.

1 Comments:

At 2:39 AM PDT, Blogger Playground In My Mind said...

My mouth is watering! I hope that it was as fun as it sounds...I love caramel:) Renee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home